Tuesday, December 2, 2014

My Finnish sauna experience in Helsinki

Finland is famous about sauna and whenever you meet a Finn, I can guarantee it is one of the first things they will tell you about their country. After 4 years living in Finland, I actually had the chance to experience it and let me tell you why you shouldn't miss it!


I went to a decent sauna place with my friends in Helsinki 2 years ago...First they had us change into our bathing suits and robes, then we went upstairs by the fire to have a relaxing drink, before making our way to the saunas.  After a good 25 minutes in the sauna, it was time to go to the lake, where a hole had been made in the ice and this was a place where people either dove in or walked in going down the ladder.  I could barely get my feet in without that burning cold sensation! Rinse and repeat. Then it was back to the sauna for another round of sweat and then freeze!
After several rounds of this, we started to make our way up to the warm and cozy room upstairs.We ate, we drank and we roasted sausages on the fire.We chatted, we laughed and overall we had a great experience. 


I could see how, since the weather is so cold in Finland, that this is so much a part of the culture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment